Call today to receive an estimate: 801-386-7331

7 Warning Signs of Dangerous Electrical Problems

No matter how new or aged, most home electrical problems will show warning signs before becoming dangerous and serious. As a homeowner it is important to know these signs to prevent any possible dangerous situations from occurring. By making the necessary repairs you can avoid electrocution and damage to your home.

Depending on your level of electrical knowledge, some of these problems can be troubleshooted by you and some will need a professional’s diagnosis then repair. Here are the 7 most common warning signs you have an electrical problem in your home:

3 Changes to Make Your Home More Energy Efficient

1. Circuit breaker problems

When a circuit breaker is overloaded it will trip to prevent overheating of wires that lead to fires. Circuit breakers can also trip when they are old. If you have occasional tripping this could indicate simple overloads. If your break is continuously tripping you should consult a professional, this is a more serious issue. For any work that needs to be done inside of the electrical panel consult a professional as it is very dangerous working in there.

2. Electrical shock

If you feel mild shock or tingles when touching an appliance, a ground fault in that specific appliances or improper electrical wiring may be the cause. If you notice a shock when crossing carpeted surface it may be from static, which is common in the winter and of no concern. Any other types of electrical shock should be taken seriously before it become a dangerous problem.

3. Hot ceiling fixtures

The area around your ceiling fixtures should be checked for warmth, poorly insulated fixtures tend to heat up. If the recommended maximum wattage for a bulb is exceeded the light will overheat. Too much heat built up in a ceiling fixture can start a fire. Want to take extra precaution? Switch to LED or CFL bulbs that do not produce as much heat as the incandescent bulbs.

4. Flickering lights

When the lights begin to flicker it is typically a sign of a loose or defective light bulb. An easy fix for this is to replace the bulb, if this does not solve the flickering call a certified electrician. The source of this problem could be coming from the actual light fixture.

5. Outlets or light-switches aren’t working

Light switches or outlets that only work every other time they are used is a sure sign of an electrical problem. The wiring inside of the fixture may be loose or the device may be cracked internally. A loose plug can pose a problem to any person using the switch, potentially shocking them if the plug falls out. If you believe you have any loose or defective wires in your home call an electrician to come inspect the wiring and repair any issues.

6. Burning odor

If any burning smells come from outlets or switches in your home turn off the power at the electrical panel. Contact an electrician right after away, this could be a problem with wiring, a faulty device, or overload. The burning odor is serious because it is a sign that an electrical fire could be starting. Any connected wires or cords that are also warm most likely have an electrical problem. Do not use any of the warm receptacles until the problem has been repaired.

7. Sparks

When first plugging a cord in it isn’t unusual for there to be a spark but when it happens continuously with large sparks is when it becomes an issue. If there is a popping sound accompanied by a spark when plugging into an outlet or circuit this is a sign that a wire may be loose. Diagnosing the loose wire can be dangerous making safety precautions vital.

 Don’t Let Electrical Problems Happen To You!

When dealing with electrical issues you are not familiar with, for your safety and your homes, call a certified electrician. JP Electric is an experienced, trustworthy company that specializes in residential and commercial projects. Contact us at (801) 386-7331 or online, we look forward to making your home safer with electrical repairs.