Summer is coming to a close but that doesn’t mean we don’t have plenty of hot days ahead of us still. It is not to late to start saving energy in your home before fall. Below are 8 simple ways to save energy and money for the rest of the summer!
Energy Saving Tips
- Set your air conditioner thermostat to as high as comfortable for your family. We recommend 78ºF or higher when you’re at home, and 85ºF when you’re gone. Make sure your inside air vents are not being blocked by furniture and other objects.
- Have your central air conditioner tuned up, cleaned and filters replaced for more efficient operation.
- Minimize indoor heat: only run the dishwasher and dryer at night on hot days and let your dishes air dry. Avoid heat-generating incandescent lighting and use a microwave, toaster oven or outdoor grill instead of the oven. To keep your home cool, it’s best to avoid the use of major appliances between 2 and 8 p.m.
- Set your water heater to 120ºF.
- Keep the windows and blinds closed during the day and then open them at night. This is a cost-free way to keep your home a little cooler.
- Window, ceiling and whole-house fans are also low-cost ways to stay comfortable.
- Wash clothes with cold water and clean the dryer’s lint filter after each use.
- Unplug appliances and electronics when not in use. To make this easier, plug home electronics, such as TVs, DVD players and computers into power strips and turn off the power strips when the equipment is not in use.
By taking these simple tips into consideration you will save money, energy, and develop good habits for all-around efficiency. Need more tips or electrical help? Contact JP Electric online or call us at 801-386-7331.
Click here for Residential Electric Services