Call today to receive an estimate: 801-386-7331

Simple Electrical Problems You Can Fix Yourself

As we covered in our last blog post, when it comes to fixing things in your home, most people would probably prefer to fix thing themselves than hire a professional. We also learned a few no-no’s that could light your home on fire or get you electrocuted.

With that being said, there are a few simple electrical problems that you can fix yourself. Here’s what they are and how you can fix them without having to hire a professional.

Light Bulbs and Light Fixtures

Burnt Out Bulbs- light fixtures usually have a standard socket that will hold most pear-shaped bulbs of almost any wattage. Most fixtures, however, are only designed to handle the heat of 60watt bulbs or less. Be sure to pair light bulbs with an equal or lower wattage. Replacing a burnt bulb with one of a higher wattage can cook the fixture and the nearby ceiling.

Flickering Lights- Flicking lights may be caused by a poor connection. Try unscrewing the bulb and putting it back in so that it touches the metal plate at the bottom of the socket. Be sure to check that the light bulb is screwed in tightly.

Outlets and Electrical Problems

Dead Outlets- If an outlet simply went dead, try resetting any breakers. The correct way to reset a breaker is to firmly push the handle to the full “off” position. Then firmly click it back to the “on” position.

Half an Outlet Works- Even after living in your home for several years, you may not be aware that part of an outlet is powered by a wall switch. Be sure to check if any mysterious switches turn the outlet on/off. Another common cause for half an outlet to malfunction is due loosened cords and a poor wiring connection.

High Electric Bills

If you’ve been experiencing a sudden increase in your electric bill it may be due to a hot water pipe leak. If your water heater is electric, check to make sure that there aren’t any leaks in your pipe. If there are, be sure to seal those cracks or leaks as soon as possible. Every drip could be costing you.

For more complicated electrical problems, we highly suggest you call a professional.

By Fiona Marcelino

Leave a Comment